Skip to Questions

Baker College
Ask Us

ASK US - We'll answer you within 3 hours M - F 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.

Useful Tip: You can also contact Baker's librarians at your campus Academic Resource Center for further assistance.

Where can I find the Baker College policy regarding retaking courses?

Last Updated: Jan 24, 2017  |  518 Views

Was this helpful? 3   0


For information about repeating a class, you will need to speak with an Academic Advisor at the Academic Office on your campus.

According to the Student Handbook on page 206:

Students may repeat courses to improve their grades. Financial aid may be available to help pay for a repeated course if the student’s existing grade in the course is an F or W. If the student received a passing grade (D-or better), financial aid may be used to repeat the course only one time. Financial aid is not available for coursework completed in a previously earned certificate or degree program.

If a student repeats a course, the higher or highest of the grades will be used in computing the student’s GPA. However, all grades will remain on the student’s official transcript. A student may attempt a non-developmental course for the third time only after meeting with and obtaining written authorization from the Program Dean or General Education Dean, depending on the course discipline.

An attempt is defined as a course completion in which a student is assigned a grade. Withdrawals are not considered an attempt. A student is blocked from registering for a course for a third time until a Third Attempt Learning Contract is completed and registration is approved. Successful completion of the conditions outlined within the Third Attempt Learning Contract is required for consideration of subsequent attempts.

Some programs are subject to exceptions to the third attempt policy based on licensing, accreditation, and standards, which stipulate fewer attempts.

The policy for repeating Developmental Education courses is included on p. 38 of the Catalog, along with other Developmental Education information. Withdrawals are considered an attempt for Developmental Education courses, and students face academic dismissal if unable to successfully complete (pass) these courses within three attempts.

Answered by Baker LibrariansBookmark and Share

Other Answers / Comments (0)

    Text a Librarian

    • a small icon
      Via SMS: TXT your question
      to (810) 771-8959  more info

    Related content from Research Guides

    Browse by Popular Topics

    APA  –  Articles  –  Automotive Technology  –  Baker College FAQ  –  Blackboard  –  Books  –  Business Topics  –  Computer Science  –  Copyright  –  Culinary Arts  –  Databases  –  Definition  –  Dictionaries  –  E-Books  –  Education  –  Faculty services  –  Geography & Culture  –  Graduate Studies  –  Health Sciences  –  History  –  Human Service  –  Industry Reports  –  Interior Design  –  Journals  –  Legal  –  Library FAQ  –  Magazines  –  Math  –  Newspapers  –  Nooks  –  Paralegal  –  Periodicals  –  Popular Topics  –  Printing  –  Psychology  –  Reference  –  Research  –  Safety  –  Scholarly  –  Science  –  Sociology  –  Software  –  Sources  –  Studying  –  Technical Issues  –  Technology & Engineering  –  Tutoring  –  Video  –  Websites  –  Writing  
    View All Topics