Q. How do I find reliable websites for my paper?
Reliable websites will differ for every topic you want to research. Please contact your Campus Librarian for help researching a specific topic.
To find reliable websites:
- Visit the library's website for articles from reliable sources.
- Explore the Research Guides to see recommended websites on each guide.
- Use a Google Advanced Search to limit your results to just .org (non-profit), .edu (educational institutions), or .gov (government) websites. This will also let you limit to a date range.
- Use Google Scholar - http://scholar.google.com/ - for scholarly articles.
- Use Google Books - http://books.google.com/ - for books you can read online.
Tips for finding reliable websites:
- Make sure the website is up to date.
- Use websites that cite their sources.
- Avoid citing commercial websites (.com).
- Do not cite Wikipedia or similar user-edited sites.
- Always use keywords, not a sentence or a question.
- Use "" (quotations) around phrases such as "Wild Bill".
- * (asterisk) is a wildcard e.g. nurs* will search for nursing, nurses, nursed etc...
- In Google, - (minus) will exclude a certain word (-university).
- In a Google search, use ~ (tilde) to search for similar words (~college will also find university).
Thank you for using ASK US. If you have more questions, contact your Campus Library/ARC.
- THIS ANSWER IS JUST AMAZING.Thank you so much. I didn't know about these sites! I never heard of Google Scholar and Google Books until now, and they are just perfect!!!
- Thanks. This information is very helpful.
- This answer is very impressive.
- Awesome great information its very helpful
- This is very nice post. It is also very helpful for us. I have been searching this type of tutorial.
- the answer on reliable websites is very informative
thanks for sharing
- Thanks for a useful information. It's look easy but it's hard when we on urge need to find .edu websites.
- Nice! Thanks For Sharing This information, is very helpful.