Q. After interviewing a person, how do you present the question and answer using APA format?
Here are 2 different ways of writing out interview questions, depending on what the Instructor assigned.
- Check with the Instructor to see how he/she would prefer interview content be added.
- To comply with APA, use Times New Roman 12 point font and double space.
Option 1: Include the questions and answers as an Appendix in the paper.
- The Appendix goes after the References page.
- Example: When interviewing Mrs. Smith, she indicated how she handles her small business. (See Appendix).
- The Purdue Owl has a sample Appendix at the end of its sample paper.
Option 2: Include the relevant questions and answers in the body of the paper where applicable.
- Use quotation marks to show an exact quote.
- Example: When asked what his strategy was for starting a small business, Mr. Smith replied, "I recommend researching the market for your service in your area and having a sound business plan." Smith, J. D. (personal communication, January 27, 2017).
The APA Help guide shows how to cite interviews:
- Click on References & In-text Citation Examples
- Find the pull down menu for Other
- Select Interviews.
Thank you for using ASK US. For more information, contact your campus Academic Resource Center.