Q. What does LOC mean?
LOC stands for Library of Congress Classification.
- This is the system most college libraries use to arrange their books.
- Each call number will have letters and numbers.
For example, in the following call number, each letter and number stands for a smaller section of the library:
HV6430 .B55 B473 2017
- First find the H section. This is the Social Sciences section.
- Look for HV. This is the public welfare section.
- Now find the HV 6000s. This is the criminology section. Each of the numbers gives more detail about the subject.
- The author of this book is named Bergen, which gives us the 'B' in B55.
- The book was published in 2017.
The Dewey Decimal Classification System is used primarily by public libraries.
Thank you for using ASK US. Please contact us again if you have more questions.