Q. How do you format a question and answer in APA?
To format questions and answers in APA format:
- Begin the question on a new line and type number 1 followed by a period.
- Type the discussion question in Times New Roman font, 12 point size.
- Use double spacing and one inch margins.
- Separate the answer from the question by beginning the answer on a new line.
- Continue to use the same format for fonts and spacing for the whole document.
- Continue the list of questions on a new line and align the number 2 under the 1.
If the Instructor has specific instructions about bold type, follow their preference, but APA does not require it.
Example in APA format:
1. What year was slavery abolished in America?
Slavery was officially abolished in the United States in 1865, although many states abolished slavery for themselves at various dates between 1777 and 1864.
Thank you for using ASK US. For more information contact your campus librarians.
- My professor says the question should be bold and the answer should be indented.
- I have seen some just have a Q. With the question
And others say 1.and the question (both are in bold) what is the right way?
- Begin your question on a new line and type number 1 followed by a period.
Type the discussion question in Times New Roman font, 12 point size- do not bold.
Please let us know if you have any further questions!
- If you are one of 4 people doing a case analysis together, do you state an introduction to your question?
- Depending on what your Instructor/Professor assigned, a short introduction would make the case analysis easier for your reader to understand.
- How do you format any extra paragraphs when using APA question/answer format?
ie. The question, when written out in the paper isn't indented, and the follow up paragraph/answer isn't indented, but if your answer is multiple paragraphs, are those paragraphs indented? Thanks!
- Since the question/answer is double spaced, there should be an empty line between paragraphs, but the second paragraph does not need to be indented. (Your Instructor/Professor may have a different opinion and, as always, defer to their preference.)
- When writing a question and answer case study should there be headings?
- The APA Help guide has a Sample Paper with headings. https://guides.baker.edu/apahelp