Q. How do I cite a book in an online discussion?
To cite the book in the text of the discussion, put the author's last name and the year the book was published in parentheses: (Case-Smith, 2017).
To quote directly from the book, include the page number of the quote: (Case-Smith, 2017, p. 42).
At the end of the discussion post, include a full citation to the book:
Case-Smith, J. (2017). Occupational therapy for children. Maryland Heights, MO: Mosby/Elsevier.
The citation includes:
- Author's last name and first and middle initial (if available)
- Year of publication in parentheses
- Title of the book in italics
- City and state where published
- Name of the book publisher.
Examples are on the APA Help guide.
- Click on References & In-text Citation Examples
- Use the drop-down menu under Books.
If you need additional help, contact your Campus Librarians. Thank you for using ASK US.