Q. After interviewing a person, how do you present the question and answer using APA format?
There are different ways of writing out interview questions, depending on what your Instructor assigned. You should check with your Instructor to see how he/she would prefer you add your interview content. As long as the paper is Times New Roman 12 point font and double spaced, the interview questions comply with APA.
1. You could include the questions and answers as an Appendix in your paper.
- The Appendix goes after the References page and you refer your reader to it in your writing.
- Example: When interviewing Mrs. Smith, she indicated how she handles her small business. (See Appendix).
- The Purdue Owl has a sample Appendix at the end of its sample paper.
2. You could include the relevant questions and answers in the body of your paper where applicable.
- Use quotation marks to show an exact quote, especially by the person you interviewed.
- Example: When asked what his strategy was for starting a small business, Mr. Smith replied, "I recommend researching the market for your service in your area and having a sound business plan." Smith, J. D. (personal communication, January 27, 2016).
The APA Help guide shows how to cite interviews:
- Click on References & In-text Citation Examples
- Find the pull down menu for Other
- Select Interviews.
Thank you for using ASK US. For personalized help, contact your Campus Library/ARC.